Adding a data source (step-by-step)
- Navigate to Catalogs (catalogs.pinterest.com)
- Click “Get Started”
- Click “Add data source”. You must have a claimed domain in order to add a data source.
- Input your data source URL (must begin with http://, https://, ftp://, or sftp://, and include the full filepath and no credentials in the URL).
- Select the file format (CSV or TSV)
- Select “My data source is password-protected” if your data source requires credentials, and input credentials.
- Click “Create Pins”.
- You will be then navigated to the main Data Source page. Wait for confirmation email from Pinterest for the status of your data source submission.
Once a data source is submitted to Pinterest, we will validate the file, and submit products for Pin creation if they meet our specifications. Any errors with the file will be surfaced for you to fix. Find the full list of error messages here. We will then create a product Pin for each item within the data source. Every time the data source is refreshed and Pinterest ingests a new data source, the updated information will be reflected for that product. We recommend that you send us an updated full data source daily to ensure that details of your products are up-to-date.
At this time, Pinterest is able to ingest a maximum of 5 million products per business profile. If you have more than 5 million products in your data source, we will only process the first 5 million rows in each update. We also recommend compressing files bigger than 500MB.
We ingest daily on a 24 hour cadence. The schedules are determined randomly to ensure even load on our systems and cannot be customized at this time.
Use this list of error messages to fix any errors with your file, once your data source has been fully processed.
To allow Pinterest to fetch your data source file, you must:
- Prepare a data source file according to our data source specification.
- Make the data source file available at a permanent file path on your server via a HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP, SFTP request.
- Input the URL for the data source in the Catalogs interface, with the appropriate username and password credentials as necessary.
- The file path should be static. Any update to the file path must be updated by you to ensure that we are able to grab the file dynamically.
Data source location requirements
You must provide your own hosting on an FTP/SFTP server, or set up a HTTP/HTTPS direct download link. Pinterest does not provide hosting for users. Your data source location should be accessible by a user-agent, and not require any IP or SSH key whitelisting. If you are using a direct download link in the form of HTTP/HTTPS, your link must not have any additional navigation required outside of credentials for Pinterest to access the file.
- Tab delimited (tsv)
- Comma delimited (csv) - We recommend wrapping all your values in double quotes to avoid any possible parsing issues
- XML files
Additional format tips:
- Additional floating delimiter (comma, tab) can result in the item or file not being processed properly
- Ensure delimiters for all your columns and rows are correctly set up.
- The specifications for the feed must follow American English for the required and set values.
- Data source file must be plain text, UTF-8 or Latin1 encoded.
Product data requirements
You must have copyrights to distribute the products you upload to Pinterest and must also follow our Community Guidelines. Any policy-violating products will be removed and may result in your account being penalized.
- Your landing page must lead to your claimed domain. Any destination URLs leading to domains that you have not claimed will be rejected.
- Any additional tracking for ads purposes should be sent in the adwords_redirect field. See tracking section here.
- For organic tracking, use static parameters to be included in the link column. Do not send redirects.
Once we receive a data source file, we generate Pin images from the URLs you send us in the image_link and additional_link fields. You must completely change the image links in these fields if you wish to create a product Pin with a new image.
The image_link and additional_image_link must link to a product image. We accept only one image for image_link. Send any additional images, through the additional_image_link field, separated by commas.
Commas in image URLs may lead to parsing errors. Either encode your commas in your URLs, or remove commas.
Do not send placeholder images (e.g. “Image coming soon” template jpeg) in any of the image links. These may create product Pins and result in poor experience. Your image should not contain any templates and banners outside of a small logo display. Do not send thumbnail images in your data source, not even in additional_image_link. We recommend that you send high-resolution, clear product images only. Your images should be at minimum 300 pixels in width for optimal experience on Pinterest.
- Advertising basics
- Create ads with Bulk Editor
- Reporting & measurement
- Create ads with Ads Manager
- Manage your Promoted Pins