Location targeting helps you get your ad in front of people in a specific geographic location. You can target by country, region, metro area, postal code, or designated market area (DMA). We recommend choosing targeting locations based on places where your customers live and where your business can serve them.
Note: The default location used in Ads Manager is your business' country. For example, US businesses will default to targeting people located in the United States.
Add location targeting in Ads Manager
- Log into your Pinterest business account
- Click Ads at the top of the screen, then click Create ad
- Click New Ad group from the left-side navigation
- Click Targeting from the left-side navigation
- Scroll to Locations and select Pick specific locations
- Click Countries, regions, and metros to add larger geographic locations
- Click Postal codes to add specific cities and towns
- Once complete, select your Budget & Schedule, Optimization & delivery and Ads
- Review your information
- Click Launch
Add location targeting in Bulk editor
- Log into your Pinterest business account.
- Click Ads at the top of the screen, then click Bulk editor.
- Click Download sample sheet to download a sample spreadsheet.
- Fill out column AK, Geos.
- Enter the postal codes you want to add in this format: [US:94100]. Leave column AJ, Locations, blank as entering locations will cancel the postal codes you want to target.
- Once complete, click Upload template to upload your bulk editor sheet.
- Click Upload.
Add designated market area targeting
If you’re interested in targeting specific locations based on media markets, you can use DMA or designated market area targeting. This type of targeting is only available in the US and UK. In the US, there are 210 metros mapped to Nielsen’s DMA definition. In the UK, there are 15 ITV metros mapped to ITV’s definition of regional broadcasting locations.
If you’d like to add DMA targeting, select Pick specific locations under Locations. Then click Countries, regions and metros. Click the caret right icon next to either U.S. or United Kingdom, then click the caret right icon next to Metros to select the metros you want to target.
Ad review process
Once you launch your campaign, we’ll review it to make sure it follows our Advertising guidelines. The campaign review process can take up to 24 hours.
If your campaign targeting goes against our advertising guidelines, we’ll send you a notification in Ads Manager letting you know what needs to change so that your ad can be reviewed again for approval. Once approved, we’ll start distributing your ad.
Explore targeting on Pinterest
If you want to set up multiple different kinds of targeting on Pinterest or edit current campaign targeting, you can learn more in our targeting overview article.